As is logical and as in all sports, running is based on two bases: training and feeding. Therefore, the publication today, we will focus on the diet for runners in order to improve performance.
Diet for Runners
When you decide you want to start practicing running, and you want to improve performance, l as meals must be aimed at three objectives:
- Maintain an adequate body weight
- Ingesting enough calories to be able to perform in training
- Replace the muscle fibers that are damaged and gaining strength.
- Diet Tips for Runners
- Reduce fat intake, eat less frozen and precooked, and in turn, increase the intake of carbohydrates (vegetables, rice, pasta, vegetables, fruits …), thus the blood will thicken less, contributing to an improvement of performance.
- Drink water before and after training, it is essential to prevent dehydration and maintain performance, without showing fatigue.
- The protein should be taken based on the effort; the best proteins are egg white and whey.
- Carrying an order in the meals and schedules will help us to keep the rhythm of the body in the day to day and in the trainings, is kept constant.
- Fat is also necessary. Between 10-15% of our diet should be foods rich in omega-3 oils and monounsaturated fats (blue fish and nuts). Among other positive effects for your body, they will help reduce the inflammation that prolonged training produces in your muscles and tendons.
- It is important that you do not miss more than three hours without eating. If your days are very long, take a snack or two more (recommended snacks at the end of the publication), either in the morning or before bed, with fruit or dairy skim to avoid catabolic metabolism and protein degradation.
- Fatty sausages (chorizo, salami, mortadella, salami, etc.)
- Sweets and homemade pastries
- Bread and biscuits
- Chocolate bars
- Sugary Drinks
- Alcoholic Beverages
Snacks in case of hunger
- Fruit juice home
- Hypocaloric food
- Small toasted bread with olive oil and tomato, tuna or with low – fat or honey